I hope you’re enjoying this series and discovering helpful tips that you can apply to your own family dynamics. Remember that these tips are just suggestions that have worked for us but every family is different. So, feel free to take my ideas or create your own.
My husband, Keith and I love to sit around and talk about what we did when we were young. Keith has great memories of playing baseball with his friends and riding bikes until the street lights came on at night. I remember having friends over to play on our slip-n-slide during the long hot summer days in Louisiana and hosting shaving cream fights in the backyard. Just thinking about those memories brings a smile to my face.
As parents, we have invested a lot of time with our boys, making sure they’ve had fun opportunities with friends. But, some of their most memorable moments have been engaging with us in family fun activities. Below are some activities that we’ve enjoyed throughout the years. They have brought our family closer and created beautiful memories that our boys can hopefully share with their children one day.
Key #3 – Family Fun Activities
- Rent a movie and have movie night at home with popcorn and M&Ms
- Pack a picnic lunch and go to the park
- Play cards or boardgames after dinnertime
- Build a bonfire (on winter nights) and roast marshmallows
- Watch a clean comedian show on t.v. (laughing together is fun!)
- Pick a sport that your children enjoys ( baseball, lacrosse, soccer, basketball) and help them practice their skill outside.
- Visit a sightseeing spot in your home town
- Go hiking near a local lake or conservation area
- Take a bike ride around your neighborhood
The great thing about these activities is that they don’t cost a lot of money. Your biggest investment will be your time and the payoff will be totally worth it! Think of some activities that you enjoyed while growing up and do those same activities with your children. I’m confident that if you invest in them now you will reap great rewards.
I hope these ideas are helpful. Feel free to create your own and add to the list as your family starts implementing Family Fun Activities this week. Tomorrow, I’ll post Key #4 so be sure to stop by again for more helpful tips.
In the meantime, I’d love for you to leave a comment sharing your own ideas about Family Fun Activities and see if we can add to the list above. If you like this post, how about sharing it with a friend on Facebook or Twitter? Maybe they can join us right back here tomorrow! See you then…